Stephen Georg was born March 20th, 1989, in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. He is 6'6" and at age 12 he received a video camera and began to make silly home videos with his friends. In 2005 he began a website to host all of his video creations, and garnered attention from various news outlets, being written about by the Canadian press and even featured in video game magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly for his various works.
In 2007 he started college at SCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design, in Savannah, Georgia. While in college he became "serious" about YouTube, starting StephenVlog (2009) and StephenPlays (2011). He graduated with honors from college with a BFA in Film and Television, focusing in video editing, in June 2011, and married his fiancé, Mallory, two months later. They previously lived in Columbia, South Carolina. Stephen and Mallory then moved to Myrtle Beach in July of 2012. Creating content on YouTube is Stephen's full-time job.
Stephen had originally seen vlogs of people who sit in front of their computers and talk to the camera, and he thought it was terribly boring. In November 2009, however, he saw a few vlogs where people were leaving the house and not simply talking to webcams. He decided that once he went home for winter break that he would start "StephenVlog", and attempt to film his life for a living.
In his first video (Day Zero) Stephen explains that he doesn't know how long he'll be doing "vlogging" for. He has been doing it every day for over eight years now. On Day 364, he received his YouTube partnership. There are now over 2,000 StephenVlog days (and counting).
- Day 234 - Stephen proposes to his girlfriend, Mallory.
- Day 557 - Stephen and friends graduate from college.
- Day 560 - Stephen and Mallory no longer have to be apart
- Day 620 - Stephen and Mallory get married.
- Day 703 - The first of many appearances by Emile
- Day 972 - Stephen and Mallory move into their second apartment.
- Day 1019 - Stephen and Mallory get cats.
- Day 1962 - 1962 was a long time ago, 10 years ago Stephen released his first hit video.
- Day 2000 - Stephen reaches Vlog Day 2000.
- Day 2542 - Stephen and Mallory move into their third house.
Stephen's original exposure to Let's Plays was through Emile (Chuggaaconroy), a personal friend of his. They had met on EarthBound fansite Starmen.net in 2005, and always kept in touch. Emile would frequently bring projects and episodes to Stephen for critique before releasing them to the public, as Stephen was an experienced editor (later earning his BFA in editing).
In late 2010, after successfully vlogging for one year, Stephen decided he would start "StephenPlays", his own Let's Play channel, in February 2011. In September 2011, he joined The Game Station network.
On August 10th, 2015, StephenPlays hit 100,000 subscribers.
Other Projects on StephenPlaysEdit
- Memorable Moments - Highlights from favorite StephenPlays episodes, debuting every Monday and Thursday and one every day in the month of May.
- Demo Fridays - A new demo every Friday in addition to the LP for that day.
- First20 - A series where Stephen (and sometimes company) play(s) the first 20 minutes of a game and then give their early impressions of it.
Devotion to FansEdit
Stephen has attracted attention to his channels by acknowledging that he always reads every comment posted, and will reply personally to any comment that requires a response. He likes to be easily reached by anyone, and reads and replies to all YouTube messages he receives. He recently did a Network Spotlight video for TGS, and predominantly featured his fans.
One of his completed LPs, Skyrim, focused on putting the "let's" back in "let's play", by only being recorded one episode at a time. Unlike most Let's Plays which are completely pre-recorded, Stephen's Skyrim LP was recorded one at a time, giving the audience time to comment on the video and offer suggestions, advice, or pointing out things he may have missed.
- Mario Party Boards (with Emile)
- Pikmin 2 Co-Op with StephenPlays! (with Emile)
- You're In The Movies (with Emile)
- Minecraft Custom Map: The Code (with Josh)
Stephen's Vlogs were primarily shot on the Flip Ultra HD camera until Day 899 of his Vlogs when Stephen switched to using the Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS. On Day 2320 Stephen retired the Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS and replaced it with the Panasonic Lumix ZS100 as the everyday vlog camera. Stephen's LPs are recorded using Screenflow (Mac recordings), Fraps (Windows recordings), and the Black Magic Intensity Pro (console games). Stephen uses a Hackintosh computer with OS X Yosemite. He does all video editing in Final Cut Pro X.
Stephen runs several other channels on YouTube.
- xfisjmg1 - His original YouTube account, containing old projects.
- NintenSpeaks - A video series based off of Mother 1's main hero, Ninten, several years after his adventure.
- DailyPack - A channel about booster pack openings of Magic, Pokémon, and Yu-Gi-Oh. (officially discontinued on Day 1405)